Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A Giant Leap of the Urban Wear

This is the pararel story line of MMM episode, I left the Fortezza, catch a shuttle to Stazione Leopolda. This "WELCOME TO MY HOUSE" was projected by Pitti Immagine Uomo, focused on the urban street brands. As recently, I checked in as a press from Bangkok, given an very ugly yellow pass-pin. I entered their "HOUSE", the former train station, its atmosphere was a sampling of the street universe. The setting encompassed the individual exhibitors’ stands and steeps them in a dynamic and global metropolitan context: a skate park, a huge concert stage that becomes a ramp. The exhibit devoted to street culture that will make its debut at this edition of Pitti Immagine Uomo. I did an interview with Simone Legno, an Italian born-LA based-Japanese obsessed creative director and designer for tokidoki. [www.tokidoki.it] He gave some interesting point of view to the urban brand. The rear-zone of the house dedicated to DUST, a retrospective exhibition of Rick Owens. He premiered his A/W menswear last night. So, the rest I saw was DUSTDAM n DUSTPUMP. Of course I love D-PUMP more. It reflected the humorous of Owens, his life-size topless statue, hung from the roof of the Alcatraz area, urinating [aka peeing] to the sand. I wasn't sure that all of the wax was in life-size. If it's correct, Mr. Owens would have something interesting more than his genius. :) The right wing of the house was full of Be@rbrick. In Europe Be@rbrick has been known as the expression in the way so close to street culture, but is not yet popular as in Japan. This exhibition was in the world wide tour by Medicom Toy, premier at Florence. This celebration of Be@rbrick featured the original works by some of the graphic and graffiti artists, each had applied the own unique style. The company gave the pure white plain BB to the artists as a blank canvas, to make toy-icon to objet d'art. I will post each history of 7 BBs from this showcase later, I promise.

Knock-Knock!! some B-Boys knocked my door, of course I won't miss it. See you again in da "HOUSE", June 21-24, 06

No comments: